Friday, May 17, 2024

An Interesting Start to the PGA Tournament

I haven't been sleeping very well lately.  I keep waking up in a complete panic and it takes me awhile to calm down.  I'm not really sure why this happens, but it can be extremely frustrating.  Sometimes I fall back asleep, other times I stay awake for the day.  I was so tired when I went to bed last evening that I thought that I would be able to sleep through the night.  I couldn't, but thankfully, I was able to fall back asleep a few hours after I woke up and actually stayed asleep until my alarm went off at 9:30 a.m.  

Even so, I still didn't feel like getting out of bed right away and started looking at my phone.  A news story caught me completely off guard.  Scottie Scheffler, golf's number one ranked player, had been arrested.  That sounded strange to me and as I read the story, it became even more bizarre.  There was a fatal accident outside of the entrance to the golf course this morning.  The players were instructed to drive around it over the median.  While he was doing so, a police officer jumped on his car.  Surprised by the event, Scheffler didn't stop right away and was subsequently arrested on multiple felony charges.  He then spent several hours in jail before being released just in time to make it to his tee time.  I called Cameron right away and he confirmed what I was reading and gave me some more information about the arrest.  It was absolutely unbelievable.

I watched the PGA off and on throughout the day thinking about Scottie Scheffler.  We had had experience in the last several years that had changed my perspective on police.  I had come to realize that they had a lot of power.  Abuse of that power can make a huge difference in someone's life.  I hoped that his situation would soon be resolved as it sounded as if he had acted legally and the arrest was due to a miscommunication.  The good news was that he had one of the best rounds of his life today, shooting a 66 and putting him in the top of the leaderboard.  From experience, I thought that tomorrow might actually be more challenging for him as the adrenal from today wore off and the reality of the experience set in overnight.  Either way, I will be rooting for him the rest of the weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment