Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Indiana Bound

We left this morning for Indiana at 5:35 a.m.  We had planned on leaving a little bit later, but I woke up at 3 and Doug woke up at 5.  Thankfully, Grandma and Grandpa were more than prepared for getting out the door earlier than expected.  The first part of the trip was the darkest of all that we would travel today. It always makes me a little bit nervous because of the large lake surrounding I-75 near Gainesville.  Even though there are guardrails, I'm always worried about accidentally driving into it.   

Fortunately, we made it through that area and all the way north of Atlanta before hitting any traffic.  We had noticed after we stopped at Buc-ee's that the time on Apple maps kept going up.  I looked ahead to see where the backup was and spotted the crash.  Normally, we stay on the route suggested, but I started looking for alternatives as the time near the accident grew.  Right as I found one, the map rerouted us.  I was glad that I was prepared as it saved us almost twenty minutes of drive time.  Once we got back on     I-75 we saw the line of stopped traffic going southbound.  It went on for fifteen miles.  We even got a text from the Georgia state police to avoid the area and were all very glad that we had navigated the traffic jam very well.  

The rest of the trip was fairly light on traffic except in Nashville.  We spent the time listening to sports radio and music.  The sun was out for most of it which really helped.  We arrived in Bloomington close to 7:15.  Cameron was already at Brett's and we were glad to see the both of them.  Grandma and Grandpa stayed there for the night enjoying Pizza Express with the two of them.  Doug and I transferred everything to the van and drove on to Syracuse.  I was exhausted, but he was ready to get back.  He had a full day tomorrow in Elkhart and it was easier to start from Grandma's.  We stopped twice to help me stay awake.  Everything on Harkless Drive had survived.  The only issues that we found was a crate that had fallen off the shelf in the garage and a dead battery on Grandpa's van.  That changed my plans for tomorrow morning, but overall I was extremely happy to have made it back to Indiana safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment