Tuesday, January 23, 2024

The Woes of Growing Older

Since I turned 55 in November, I feel like my body has completely fallen apart.  First, I went to a new family doctor for a physical where I found out that my blood pressure was quite a bit higher than normal.  I hoped that it was the stress of seeing a new doctor, but after monitoring it at home for a few weeks, I realized that I was wrong.  When I went back a few weeks later to get the results of my bloodwork, I was completely taken off guard.  My cholesterol had doubled since I had it checked two years ago.  The high reading could have been the reason my blood pressure was off or it could have been the stress of the past two years.  Either way, I had to start taking medication for both issues.  Thankfully, my body responded well to them and I did not have any serious side effects.  My blood pressure even returned to normal in a few weeks.  The headaches and malaise that I had been feeling in October, November and early December had greatly subsided as well.

I was on the mend, but I wasn't done feeling old.  Two weeks ago, I stubbed my toe on Cameron's bed.  It still hasn't completely healed and has slowed me down way more than I would have liked.  It also kept me from walking for exercise until today.  Another blow to my body and ego occurred on Saturday morning when I realized that I had broken a molar while brushing my teeth.  As the missing piece was larger than normal, I knew that it wouldn't be an easy fix.  I considered waiting until I was back in Syracuse this spring to have it fix, but found a dentist here that would see me.  Unfortunately, I will need a crown to fix it.  The good news is that he will be able to repair it later this week and look at two other teeth that are bothering me.  Thankfully, no root canal, for now.  After spending the last two years helping Cameron and Doug, I guess my body decided that it had had enough.  I have definitely been slowed down recently, but do have a plan to take it easy from here on out with hopefully no other physical issues to report.  

No comments:

Post a Comment