Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Florida and the Flamingo

When we first bought our home in Ocala, I decided that I wanted a flamingo bathroom.  It seemed to make sense as I always thought the flamingo represented Florida well.  I bought flamingo hand towels, flamingo candle holders, a flamingo bath mat and just recently flamingo curtains.  Cameron even said that I could hang his flamingo drawing from middle school in my bathroom, giving it a personal touch.






Although I absolutely love the decor, I have to be honest, after living in Ocala, I now realize that the flamingo is not found widespread in the sunshine state.  Instead, the two birds that I see the most are the crow and the ibis.  I definitely enjoy seeing the second one on my daily walks.  They usually travel in groups and are always walking through the lawns in our neighborhood searching for food or just hanging out.  



The crows in Florida, however, absolutely petrify me.  They are the size of a hawk and caw at us constantly from the light pole outside of Cameron's room.  Every time I hear or see them, especially in large groups, I instantly think of the movie, "The Birds."  I told Doug that I thought about taking a tennis racket with me when I walk, just in case they attack.  If I ever change my bathroom, I would seriously consider decorating it with the ibis.  I would never, however, think about putting any type of crow in my house.  Hitchcock talk me long ago to respect the power of a flock of angry birds.  






No comments:

Post a Comment