Thursday, September 14, 2023

A New Dishwasher

 I have not bought a new kitchen appliance since Cameron was a toddler.  The ones in our home in Syracuse looked nice and were functional for over fifteen years, so there never was a need to replace them.  We had bought them so long ago, that I didn't really remember shopping for them.  We purchased the trio at Curtis Appliance in Syracuse shortly before they went out of business.  Thankfully, we had no problems with them except for few overused drawers in the refrigerator that needed replaced.

When we bought the house in Florida, we knew that the dishwasher did not work.  The previous owner gave us $600 to buy a new one, but we put that into replacing the shower in the second bathroom instead.  That was a much more needed change at the time.  Once we moved to Ocala full time, however, I decided that it was time for a new dishwasher.  I didn't mind hand washing dishes for Doug and I, but knew that once we had visitors I would definitely enjoy the help of a new kitchen appliance.

I started my search before we even moved, looking at reviews online of different appliance stores in Ocala.  I also looked at several types of dishwashers sticking with Whirlpool as we had a great experience with the brand in the past.  It didn't take long for me to pick out the dishwasher that I wanted and narrowed it down to MVB appliance vs. Lowe's.  I started with the appliance store first.  I liked the dishwasher, but was surprised at how much it was to deliver and install it.  From what I read, I actually thought that was part of the purchase price.  Therefore, I knew that I wanted to check out Lowe's as well.  Five minutes in the store and I had already made my decision, Lowe's carried the same dishwasher at a comparable price, but the delivery and install fees were triple those of MVB.  I was also told that it would be closer to two months before I would receive it.  

By the end of the day I had bought and paid for my first kitchen appliance in over fifteen years.  I was very happy that the six hundred dollars that we were given when we closed on the house was exactly how much we needed to replace the dishwasher.  It took close to two weeks to have it delivered and installed, but most of the delay was from the store closures during the hurricane.  In the end, the install process was easy and as an added bonus they upgraded our dishwasher due to the delay.  We now had even more room to clean dishes as the new one had a third row rack for trays, long utensils and lids.  I was extremely happy not to have to wash dishes anymore by hand and to have a shiny new appliance decorating my kitchen.  



No comments:

Post a Comment