Sunday, December 4, 2022

No Rush

Over Thanksgiving break Meg and I had several discussions about having children.  Just like Cal, she wasn't pushing to become a mother anytime soon.  She wanted children some day, but not in the next few years.  As we told Cal earlier this year, we would never push any of them to become a parent before they were ready.  Brett and I have had this discussion as well.  Having children is a lot of work and they have to be ready mentally, physically and financially before getting married, let alone having children.  

I was reminded of my conversations with Meg today when my Mom called.  She had talked to my cousin, Jess, this weekend and relayed that she was going through some challenging times right now.  I could completely empathize with how Jess felt.  Three children under seven years old, working full time and taking classes would be extremely challenging.  Thinking of her made me feel better about our advice to the Heinisch children - have children on your time schedule, no one else's.  Doug and I are in no hurry to be grandparents, we just want our adult children to be happy.  We did tell them, however, that no matter what we will never have "grandpups" or "grandcats."  We will love their pets, just not those labels.  They were all ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment