Sunday, October 8, 2023

My Brother's Birthday

Today would have been my brother's 60th birthday.  It sounded old when I said it, but since I am turning 55 next month, it doesn't feel that old.  My mom started the day with her favorite pictures of Bunk on Facebook which I enjoyed.  I had seen all of them many times before, but always liked thinking about a simpler, easier time when he was still part of our family's daily dynamics.

As I looked through the pictures this year, I noticed that there were some of him alone and others with my cousin Billy.  Being the youngest, I decided to make sure that everyone realized that I was left out of the celebration and searched through my camera roll for pictures of Bunk with "his favorite sister."  I laughed when I made the post and hoped that my mom would realize that I was just joking around.  It didn't matter to me if Bunk was still with us or not.  He was my brother and there was no way that I was letting him upstage me, even if it was his birthday.  Thankfully, my mom got the joke and found even more pictures to post.  Soon there were dozens of photos of me smiling with my brother while he wore his famous frown.  It was a great way to remember a big brother that I absolutely adored, even though I was probably the reason for the scowl on his face.  







No comments:

Post a Comment