Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Unpacking Cameron's Room

When we left for Indiana on September 22nd, I had every room in the house unpacked except for Cameron's.  I had purposely left it until I got back as I knew that it would take quite a bit of time to get through all of the tubs and boxes that were sitting on his beds.  I started on Monday and thankfully found it to be a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Cameron had two bedrooms in our home in Syracuse filled with memorabilia, pictures, clothes and so much more.  I wasn't quite sure where I was going to put everything.  Therefore, I was glad that he had agreed to get rid of almost half of it at the garage sale this summer.  It not only gave him a little bit of spending money, but also gave me a chance of fitting everything into his bedroom in Florida.  

I decided that the best way to tackle the project was to unpack everything and sort it by item - clothes in one pile, books in another.  I continued this way until everything was out of the boxes and tubs and soon had Cameron's clothes hanging in his closet and his hat collection on the shelf.  The dresser and the bookcases were next.  I was impressed with how much they held.  I wasn't sure what to do with Cameron's Nerf gun collection and light sabers, but fortunately, the small nightstand that I got for him when we originally bought the house had three empty drawers.  After unpacking those collections, I told Cameron that I was ready for a duel with Darth Vader if he happened to stop by or a Nerf gun fight if Cade, Evan and Chance visited.  He suggested shooting bullets into corners of the house so that it reminded me of our home in Syracuse.  Doug had always said that if someone moved in 100 years from now, they'd still be finding Nerf bullets in the basement. 

Cameron's games and a few of his miscellaneous items fit into a small cabinet that Meg had been using in Syracuse.  I was glad that we had decided to bring it since she no longer needed it and it was a big storage help.  The last item that I had to find a place for was Cameron's blue lamp.  He had had it in his room for as long as I could remember.  I not only found a useful spot, but also a colorful lamp shade for it.  The orange and blue were a wonderful homage to his old room and the perfect way to finish unpacking the last room in our new home.









No comments:

Post a Comment