Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Halloween Record

A year ago today, Phil moved to Ocala.  Doug made sure to be in Florida when he arrived, so that Phil would have a place to stay before the moving trucks arrived.  From that day on, all I heard from the two of them was how packed the streets were on Halloween night in our neighborhood.  According to Doug he went through the two bags of candy that I had sent down for trick or treaters within ten minutes.

Ever since last Halloween, I had been anticipating tonight.  I believed everything they said as the homes in our neighborhood were all decked out for the holidays.  Even the Majestic Oaks Facebook page told everyone to get ready for a neighborhood full of trick or treaters.  They stated that last year there were over 800 costumed children walking through our neighborhood.  I bagged up over 500 pieces of candy for the night, hoping that I had enough.

Doug arrived home early in anticipation of a lot of traffic in our neighborhood.  We moved the rocking chairs out to the end of the drive and prepared for the masses.  I invited Phil to join us, but he had no interest.  Last years crowd scared him off.  The first forty-five minutes were pretty slow.  We had only given out a large bag of Skittles and a bag of Tootsie Pops.  I was a little bit disappointed.  I had believed the hype and thought that I had been set up to be disappointed.  Just when I began to give up hope, a mass of Trick or Treaters rounded the corner.  By the time we went inside at 8 p.m. to watch Dancing with the Starts, we had given out 513 pieces of candy and there were still children coming down our street.  Even though we turned off our lights to enjoy the dancing series, we still got two more trick or treaters before the evening ended making our final total of 515 more than doubling our highest amount on Sunset Drive and setting a new Heinisch Trick or Treat record. 










No comments:

Post a Comment