Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Insurance Woes

I spent two weeks in August searching for the best auto insurance rates that I could find in Florida.  Before we moved, I did not realize how expensive all types of insurance were in the Sunshine State.  I hated paying triple what we did in Indiana, but knowing that Doug would not have to pay state income tax anymore helped.  At the time I was excited that I found a price that we could live with that covered both vehicles plus Cameron, Doug and I.  Imagine my surprise when I opened up our Auto Owner's bill this week and it was $2700 more a year than they had originally quoted me.  

I printed off everything from our insurance agent and the new bill.  I gave all of the paperwork to Doug as he said that he would help if there were any issues.  This was last Friday.  We found out yesterday that there had been an error and the quote that we had received didn't include Cameron.  Even though we had signed the policy with a specific price on it and were told that Cameron was covered, Auto Owners changed it and our agent never informed us.  Had I not looked carefully, we would have been paying an extra $200 a month for car insurance.

Today, I spent a good portion of the afternoon on the phone with State Farm.  I had originally contacted them for a quote in August.  The price was competitive with the bogus one from Auto Owners.  We didn't pick them, however, as State Farm had more hoops to jump through - Cameron had to take an online class and we would have to install a drive safe beacon in our vehicles.  It seemed like a hassle at the time, but now knowing that we would save almost $3000, we all agreed that it was worth it.  I signed the paperwork today, Cameron download the steer clear app to get started, and Doug cancelled our Auto Owner's policy.  Hopefully, it will be quite some time before we have to worry about switching car insurances again.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment