Thursday, August 31, 2023

It's OK Not to Remember

My brother died on this date in 1977.  Thus, August 31st had always been my least favorite day of the year.  I used to dread it as it brought back so many sad memories.  When I was younger, I was even afraid of the day, thinking that it was a bad omen.

Several years ago I was watching Harry Potter and was amazed by the idea of a Pensieve.  It allowed wizards to pull a memory from their brain and place it in a safe, secure spot until it was needed again.  I remember thinking how wonderful that would be.  I would never have a bad memory pop into my mind again unless I wanted to relive it.  

Over time, the Pensieve changed how I thought about August 31st.  I realized that I didn't need a device to help me forget.  Instead I had the ability to chose what I thought about.  I could also control what I wanted to remember.  It was then that I decided that I no longer wanted to remember anything that made me feel sad or bad inside.  It worked very well and soon August 31st was just another date on the calendar.  Instead of feeling bad on that day, I focused only on happy memories of my brother and that made all of the difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment