Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Bids Galore

While we were getting ready for the garage sale, Meg decided to sell one of her American Girl dolls.  She had four from her childhood and realized that she didn't quite need that many.  She found her outfits and accessories and was one of the first items sold at our sale.  While Meg was sorting through her dolls, she also found an outfit that she also didn't want to keep long term.  It was a cheer costume set for the doll Molly, which Meg had never owned.  I didn't remember the set, and Meg was pretty sure that she received it second hand.  

We knew from Ebay that Meg's outfit would be valuable to a collector.  Figuring that it would be very unlikely that she would get top dollar out of it at a garage sale, I decided to put it on Ebay for her.  Although I wasn't looking for another project, I knew that wouldn't cost much to ship and would be easy to mail to a buyer.  I had also recently sold my childhood Garfield and friends plush set on Ebay and was pleased with the result.  Thus, we started Meg's doll costume at $19.99 and soon had a bid.  It was pretty quiet after that, but as the week wore on a small bidding war ensued and soon Meg had $33 to add to her account.





As excited as I was about Meg's success, I was absolutely blown away by Brett's.  While I was packing the Legos for Florida, I ran across all of Brett's Bionicles.  I texted him to see if he wanted me to add them to the tub with his Millennium Falcon and Lego Racers.  After thinking about it for a little while, he decided to part ways with the Legos.  He had really only collected them because his friends did and he really didn't want to store them long term.  I started to look at selling them individual when I found a large lot for sale that was going for $70 total.  Brett and I thought that it would be easiest to sell them as a lot even though packing them to ship would be harder.  At least it would be one less item for me to move.

I listed the Bionicles at 7:00 p.m. for $29.99.  At 7:10, Brett already had an offer.  I couldn't believe it.  We had never had anything receive a bid that quickly.  I watched throughout the week and soon there was a bid exceeding the $70 mark that I had seen on other sets.  There must have been something in the lot that was worth valuable to collectors as a bidding war ensued up until the last second with the final price for the entire set reaching $130.  The buyer paid immediately and Brett was more than thrilled with the final outcome.  I was pleased that we had had success with our last Ebay sales before we move.  

No comments:

Post a Comment