Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Saying Goodbye to the Neighbors

After three days of cleaning, we finally felt that our house was ready for the new owners.  I realized that I probably went overboard, but I wanted to make sure that they had no reason to back out of the purchase agreement.  They had never personally toured the home and I hoped that they would like it.  Either way I was thankful to be done and hoped to never have to clean that big of a house again.  

With all of the cleaning and packing finished,  Doug and I had only one thing left to do . . . say goodbye to the neighbors.  We started with Roger and Darlene.  They had lived diagonally from us since we moved in twenty-five years ago.  They were awesome neighbors to have.  They were helpful when we needed it and a friend to our children, especially Meg.  I would miss seeing them on my daily walks and having Roger stop to "offer me a piece of candy" or to ask me how "sis" was doing.  

Our next goodbyes were to the Millers.  They had moved in next door several years ago, which we appreciated very much.  The family that lived in Rich and Teresa's old house before them was the worst neighbors that we had ever had.  The Millers were a welcome relief and I especially enjoyed talking to their children.  Colton kept me abreast of what was going on with the rest of the children on our street and Reilly always had a smile on her face, just like her mother.  Kyle was kind to my parents and always kept track of Cameron's golf game.  

Our last stop was Josh's home.  Of all of our neighbors, I thought that he might miss us most.  I wasn't sure what our relationship would be with him and his family when they moved in seven years ago.  Our lives were drastically different, but in the end that didn't really matter to any of us.  Josh was the most helpful neighbor that I had ever known.  He may have looked rough around the edges, but he had the kindest heart.  He had recently played pool with Doug and my Dad thoroughly enjoying his time in our basement.  I would miss his positive attitude and willingest to help me with any project that I started.  

At the end of our neighborhood tour of goodbyes, Josh and Kyle's children decided that they needed a tour of home.  We walked through every room in the house, their eyes lighting up with each new door to open.  It was a fun way to say goodbye to them and a wonderful way to end our last full day on Sunset Drive.  




No comments:

Post a Comment