Monday, August 14, 2023

Saying Goodbye

Today was a tough day.  Cameron spent the majority of it saying goodbye to all of his friends, his grandparents, his childhood home and basically his life in Syracuse.  The next time that he traveled north, our house would be sold and he would just be a visitor to his hometown.  As we took pictures of his favorite places in the house and backyard, I couldn't help but feel sad.  Life was changing fast for our family.  As exciting as the changes were, it made my heart break just a little bit.   







Cameron and I had planned on watching the Bethany tennis team play Jimtown tonight, but the rain changed those plans.  Instead we drove to Goshen so that Cameron could say goodbye to his former teammates and coaches.  I could tell on their faces that they felt the way that I did - happy and sad all rolled into one.  

Since Cameron couldn't see Alina at the match, he waited for her to finish cross country practice to end for a proper goodbye.  They had spent a lot of time together this week playing games, eating out and even hiking at Chain of Lakes.  I knew that it would be a big adjustment for them - seeing each other daily to once a month.  I felt sad that they were going to be separated, but knew that there was no other choice. 

I appreciated that I got to drive to Bloomington with Cameron this evening.  He talked about everything that he had been thinking about this past week - the excitement of starting a new chapter, the sadness of leaving behind his old life, the happiness of finally being free of a high school schedule, his thoughts on leaving Syracuse and so much more.  It was so nice to spend that time with him as I knew that it would be quite awhile before we had a chance to drive anywhere together again.  Instead of feeling sad, I just tried to soak in every second.  I knew tomorrow would be sad enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment