Thursday, August 10, 2023

What an Awesome Honor

Rena called me the first week in June to tell me that she had gotten the date for Cameron's graduation open house wrong and was devastated that she missed it.  I told her that we would have loved to see her, but with all of the people in attendance it may have been too much for her to navigate.  I suggested instead  that she, Cameron and I to get together one day this summer before he left for college.  She said that would work perfectly for her as she had something to give to Cameron.  

At the end of July, Rena and I communicated once more setting a date for our get together.  It was during that phone call that she told me that the gift that she had for Cameron was Bob's set of golf clubs.  It took me a second to comprehend what she was saying.  Bob had died almost six years ago.  I had known him for most of my life, even before he and Rena bought Maxwelton.  He was friend to all of the Heinisch children, but knew Cal and Cameron the best as they played the most golf.  Cameron was the one who stopped in the pro shop after every round to talk golf with Bob, sometimes sharing his score stroke by stroke, hole by hole.  Those conversations must have really resonated with Bob as he shared what he and Cameron talked about with Rena.  She told us that it really made Bob's day to see how passionate Cameron was about golf and that he wanted to share it with the golf pro.  Therefore, she and Brandi thought that it was only fitting that Cameron receive Bob's golf clubs.  What an honor, I was absolutely speechless.  

Cameron was extremely proud and put the treasured clubs in his van right away.  After we talked a little bit more, the three of us decided that lunch together would be a perfect way to celebrate the day.  Cameron chose Chubbie's for the second time this week, taking full advantage of their biggest special of the week - $2.50 hamburgers.  As delicious as the food was, the stories that Rena shared about Bob were the best part of the meal.  Cameron and I had so much fun, we didn't want it to end.  We both made sure that Rena had our phone numbers so that we could keep in contact with her this fall.  Words could not express how honored Cameron and I were as we drove home.   



No comments:

Post a Comment