Thursday, December 13, 2018

Straight No Chaser

Ever since Brett began ushering for the IU Auditorium a dream of mine has been to attend the Straight No Chaser concert with him.  We became fans of theirs over a decade ago when their
"Twelve Days of Christmas" went viral.  As this was the last year he would be ushering as a student, I thought that I had better make that dream a reality.

Therefore, today after physical therapy I headed to Bloomington.  The concert did not begin until 8 p.m. but I wanted to go to lunch with the boys and do a little Christmas shopping as well.  I arrived on campus at 1:15 having stopped once or twice on the way down.  I picked up Cal at his house and then stopped at the Union to get Brett.  Parce had said that Red Robin sounded good to him for lunch as well, so we ran to his home next.  Except for slow service, we all enjoyed the food and the lively conversation around the table.

Cal had to study for a final so he chose to go back to his place after we ate, first picking up the car for his trip home tomorrow.  Parce and I agreed to meet at 7 p.m.  He had not attended a Straight No Chaser concert either and decided to go, once I suggested it.  Brett and I then made our next stop the mall.  We had a list for Target and then did some walking through the stores of the mall.  I was concerned about getting in my steps, so we made sure to take a lap around the perimeter before buying anything.  I was able to check a few other items off of my Christmas list before Brett had to go home and change into his usher outfit.

I dropped Brett off and then drove through downtown Bloomington.  Their lights on the square were impressive and it had been years since I had seen them.  I also checked out the gingerbread city at the union before meeting Parce.  Thanks to free parking due to Christmas break we were able to find a spot close to the auditorium.  We happened to be seated close to Brett's usher station so we were able  to say hello before the show started.



The performance started with a comical presentation on the start of Straight No Chaser in 1996.  The a cappella singing began shortly afterward and we thoroughly enjoyed the songs.  Humor was spread throughout the show and we appreciated their renditions of many of our favorites.  After the intermission they sang only Christmas songs.  I loved their version of the Nutcracker Suite and a Disney Medley.  The show ended with the song that made them famous with a slight change that left everyone laughing.  As a special treat they called the four original members of the group that no long toured with them to the stage  to sing "Back Home in Indiana."  It was an awesome way to end a fantastic performance.  I was thrilled to have witnessed an IU tradition live on stage.




No comments:

Post a Comment