Monday, December 17, 2018

The Joys of Turning 50

I had a lot of health goals that I committed to once I quit teaching.  Eating healthy, exercising regularly, investigating the continual nerve pain in my left arm and a full check up with our new family doctor.  I am happy to report that today I official completed all items on my health to-do list.  At my check up in October our new family doctor had requested that I get a colonoscopy.  Dr. Freeze recommended it because of my age and history of anemia.  It took me a couple of months to get it scheduled because of Cam and Meg's basketball schedule.  I also had to have it done at the hospital because of issues with my blood pressure and anesthesia which added to the scheduling issues.

Thankfully, Dr. Gerig's office was able to work out all of the details and today I left for the hospital bright and early for my 6:15 a.m. check-in time.  Doug was able to take me which I really appreciated, especially since I was overly nervous about the procedure.  The videos that I was required to watch before hand did not help.  Fortunately, there were no issues and by 8:30 we were on our way out of the hospital  The doctor said that all looked good and I would not need to repeat the process for ten years.  I was extremely happy to hear that as the prep yesterday and last night for the test was terrible.  Just the thought of the taste of the Magnesium Citrate was enough to turn my stomach.

My Mom met Doug and I at the hospital to drive me home.  That way Doug could head into work from Goshen.  The drive home was a blur due to the medications they used.  I did have a chance to eat some cereal before I went to bed.  I woke up at 1:30 not quite sure where I was.  It took most of the day for the loopiness to wear off, but other than that I felt really well the rest of the afternoon.  Brett and I were even able to take a walk.  I was thrilled with that as I did not think that I would be able to continue my 10,000 step streak that I started on June 3rd because of the colonoscopy.  I couldn't answer many of Brett's trivia questions or process my thoughts quick enough to follow along with his stories, but he and I had fun just the same.  Tonight my parents came up and we all played cards.  I was tired by the time they left, but overall the colonoscopy was not the horror event that I had imagined it to be.  I was thankful to have completed it and glad to hear that all was clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment