Monday, December 3, 2018

George H. W. Bush

Today I spent some time watching the funeral procession for former President George H. W. Bush who died over the weekend.  I was so incredibly thankful that I was able to be home today and listen to all of the wonderful words spoken on his behalf.  As they talked about his Presidency and the legacy that he created I had time to reflect on our trip to Texas in 2016.  Besides attending the Final Four in Houston we also took time to travel to President Bush's Presidential Library in College Station.  It was a must see for Doug and I was glad that we had the ability to visit it.




Of all of the Presidential libraries and homes that we have visited over the years this one was the most impressive.  It painted a picture of President Bush's life that showcased not only his years of public service including an impressive World War II record, but also that of his love of family.  He was a true patriarch that according to his son, Former President George W. Bush, showered his children with unconditional love.  He was supportive, protective and strict.  He had high expectations for himself as well as his family.  Todays speeches reminded me of just how much in awe we were leaving his President Library.  It also made me think of Meg's words as we walked out, "Mom, President Bush was a true family man.  You know, he reminded me of Dad."  I couldn't have thought of a bigger compliment to Doug and couldn't have agreed more.  It doesn't take a President to change the world, just a father who is involved in his children's lives.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment