Sunday, August 25, 2024

The Senior Open

This weekend was the senior open at Maxwelton and I knew that my dad was really looking forward to it. The club championship hadn’t quite gone the way he wanted, and he was ready to redeem himself. I was super impressed to find out that he was a one handicap . That’s pretty impressive for somebody who is 81 years old.

I checked in with him yesterday to see what his score was. He was pretty proud of his 75 and was leading the 70 year old and older flight by one stroke. I was extremely impressed as there were 19 people in his flight and my dad was the second oldest.

The first nine today didn’t quite go the way that he wanted, but he held it together and shot even par on the back to finish in second place overall. He was bummed that he didn’t win, but I was super excited for him. He had represented the above 80-year-old crowd well.


My dad taught me that golf is just a great way to tell a story. I knew that there would be another tournament around the corner for him to prepare for, think about, and plan. Thus, I was happy that my dad was already talking about playing in the big cup with Cal and Cameron in a couple of weeks. They will have so much fun and a lot of stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment