Sunday, August 18, 2024

A Wonderful Day in the Windy City

I knew that I was struggling with some type of sinus issue yesterday when I left Bloomington, but I wasn’t quite prepared for what I woke up to at 4 AM this morning. My chest felt like there was an elephant setting on it and I was struggling to take any type of breath. I set up immediately and tried not to panic. I thought about waking Meg up, but I didn’t want to scare her. I considered calling the ambulance, but wasn’t sure how they would get up Meg’s three flights of stairs and help me get down to the truck. If Nick had been home, I would have asked him to drive me to the nearest hospital, but he wasn’t due until 6 AM. I knew that calling Doug wouldn’t help at all, so I decided the best course of action was to stand up and see if I could catch my breath. Standing up helped, but it didn’t alleviate the seriousness of how hard it was to breathe. To take my mind off of it and relax, I started walking around Meg‘s apartment. The next thing I knew I was picking up any odds and ends that needed put away and throwing out any trash. Meg made fun of me for cleaning in the middle of a serious asthma attack, but I think that the real life activity calmed me down as I was able to finally start taking some breaths normally. Within a couple of hours, I was well enough to lay back down and at least rested for a little while this morning.

Once we all got up and around, Nick drove us to a restaurant called Yolk.  We were going to sit outside, but it started to rain.  The food was absolutely delicious.  I had never seen that big of portions. Meg and I didn’t finish our brunch, but Nick made a pretty good dent in everything.


After eating, Meg wanted to go shopping. We stopped at HomeGoods, Kohl’s, Target, and Michael’s. I was impressed that they had that many shops close to their apartment. When Doug lived in Chicago, the only place to go that had any type of food or anything was a grocery store named Treasure Island. Needless to say it was expensive and outdated. These stores were extremely large and had a very nice selection.

While we were at Kohl’s, Cal texted that he had finished his fantasy football draft early and was headed over to Meg‘s apartment. Nick finished up paying for his shoes and soon we were waiting for Cal to arrive. He filled us in on his draft and everything that he had been up to the last couple weeks. Maggie had been at a pool party with friends and joined us later. It was really nice to see everybody and hang out for several hours. Cal loves talking about sports and movies and I enjoy listening to everyone very much. 

The five of us walked to a really nice restaurant called Perch for dinner. They not only made their own beers, but seltzers as well. The guys tried a Gatorade inspired one that they really liked. The food was absolutely delicious and I liked my turkey sandwich a lot. We walked back to Meg’s afterward, thankful that the rain had held off for the rest of the night. We talked about the rats that I saw last night while we were coming home . Everyone agreed that was one of the toughest parts of living in Chicago. We also speculated on how the Democratic National Convention would affect traffic in Chicago tomorrow. Neither Meg nor Cal had to go into work this week due planned protests surrounding the convention.  

Cal and Maggie headed out once we got back to Meg‘s apartment. They wanted to finish the movie Clue and needed to leave before I accidentally spoiled the ending for Maggie. Nick, Meg, and I spent the rest of the night in her apartment. Nick played a few video games. Meg worked, and I relaxed. The cough drops and the Vicks that I bought did help my chest, but I was pretty wiped out from the previous night.  Even so, I had such a wonderful day in the windy city.

No comments:

Post a Comment