Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Look Alikes

Meg sent me this picture from Grandma Jane's with the text "I know where you got your looks."  It wasn't the first time that I had heard from members of my family about how much I look like Granny.  It was, however, the first time that I had been told that I looked like Grandma Guard.  I definitely could see the resemblance between Ruby and Lucille.  If fact, I didn't even believe Meg at first that it was Grandma Guard as I was sure that it was my Grandma.  I texted Aunt Jan just to verify and she agreed with my mom that it was Ruby.  After further inspection, I could not only see my Grandma in that pictures, but I could see my face there as well.  

My mom and dad always told me that they didn't think that I looked like my Grandma, but I always thought I did, especially in pictures of her younger years.  I wondered if my parents said that because they thought that I would be offended by saying that I looked like my grandma, but I never minded hearing that at all.  In fact, I was proud of it.  I loved my grandma.  She was an important part of my life.  I didn't mind carrying on her legacy by reminding others of her.  If they saw her when they saw me, then her memory would always live on in their eyes.  

The other reason that I never minded being told that was because I felt that I had never really resembled either of my parents.  I was such a good mix of the both that neither of their features stood out, so it was nice to know that I did look like someone in my family.  No matter what the reason, it was fun to get this old photo from Meg today and to realize that one day, my own grandchildren would be looking at pictures of me in my youth deciding which of the Heinisch children looked like me.



No comments:

Post a Comment