Monday, July 3, 2023

Lake Life

I moved to Syracuse with my parents when I was ten years old.  Even though we didn't live on the lake, I did enjoy swimming in it at Hoy's Beach and taking bike rides along the water.  By the time we moved to my parents' current home on Harkless Drive in 1982, my swimming days were over.  In fact I have only swam once in my parents channel.  That was in 1988 when the Midwest had a heat wave that lasted for weeks with record high temperatures.  

I did enjoy the lake in other ways through my sophomore year in high school.  I had friends that would invite me our on boat rides.  It was a lot of fun and gave us a lot of freedom as none of us were old enough to drive.  Once we did get our driver's licenses, however, I noticed that my time on the lake diminished and in all honesty I only spent a handful of times on the water during my adult life after that.

My children followed the same pattern.  They loved swimming and fishing at their grandparents until they were in high school.  Meg and Cameron had floats shaped like all different items including a flamingo and a popsicle.  Brett and Cal used the lake more for social activities, hanging out with Big Brandon and Little Brandon in the sandpile near their homes.  Cal was the only one who carried on the lake life into high school and college.  It made sense as Hannah Marie loved the water and all activities on it - paddle boarding, slalom skiing, and time on the jet ski.  We even spent the day with the Lamles out on the lake one summer ending with a boat ride to dinner at Oakwood.  I could totally see why the loved living on the lake, but it just wasn't for us.  It may seem strange to grow up in a town that houses the largest lake in Indiana and not live on the water, but it definitely worked for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment