Thursday, February 29, 2024

There's Busy & Then There's Busy

Meg called me several times this week to let me know how frustrated she was with work.  I listened as she talked and tried to be as supportive as possible.  I knew from living the first year of public accounting with Cal and Doug that it wasn't the most fun that she would ever have in life. I also realized that she would grow a lot at work this spring and would feel a lot better about it all by this time next year.  Her partner told her the same thing when they had their check in recently.  

The part that I loved best was when Meg said to me, "Ok, Mom, I get it.  Last year when you were getting the house ready for Cameron's graduation open house and to put it up for sale shortly afterward, I told you that I was just as busy studying.  Let's be honest, college doesn't even compare to the schedule of the real world."  That made me laugh.  Meg was right, you could never know what the real world truly was until you lived it.

The reality for Cameron right now, however, is that he was feeling just as down in the dumps about studying for tests as Meg was last year.  During our daily conversations, I made sure to empathize with his situation as we all had been there.  I also knew that one day he would feel like Meg or I did during the first year after college.  The reality is that a college schedule isn't quite as bad as real life.  That won't matter to him until he has to live it.  There's no reason for me to bring that up now.  Instead, I am just happy that Meg is doing her best to survive busy season and that Cameron finished three midterms this week before spending a relaxing few days in Goshen with his friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment