Thursday, February 15, 2024

Bob Marley

When my mom, dad and I went to see The Beekeeper in January, I saw a preview for the Bob Marley movie, One Love.  I didn't know a lot about the singer, but absolutely loved reggae music, so decided that I wanted to see it.  The best part was that it came out on Valentine's Day and would be a great way to spend the afternoon before Doug and I celebrated the holiday.  

I was surprised with how many people were at the theater for a Wednesday afternoon, but still was able to find a seat on the end by myself.  The movie was nothing like I thought that it would be.  I expected it to be like Bohemian Rhapsody was with Queen and Freddie Mercury.  One Love didn't focus just on how Bob Marley and The Wailers started, but instead spent a lot of time on the political war that was happening in Jamaica in the late 1970s.  Bob Marley was important to the peace movement at the time and even survived an assassination attempt.  The film showed Bob Marley's life thru flashbacks and definitely included his love of women, family, and smoking marijuana as well as his Jamaican roots.   His son, Ziggy, was extremely involved in getting the movie made and his wife, Rita was a producer.  Overall, I really enjoyed learning about the history of that time period.  I was saddened by the circumstances of his early death, but the music was excellent and such a nice reminder of how peaceful reggae music truly is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment