Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Father Schwartz

Kim texted last week to let us know that Father Schwartz had died.  Although, we knew that he had gone into hospice care from his last letter, Doug and I were both very sad to hear it.  Father had meant a lot to Doug during his youth.  He was incredibly helpful in preparing us for our wedding vows and even baptized Brett.  He officiated at so many of the Heinisch events over the years and we kept in contact with him through letters once we moved to Indiana.  When he became a Monsignor, he told us to never call him that.  To us, he would always be Father Schwartz.  

When I arrived at Brett's on Friday, the first thing I saw was Brett's baptismal picture with Father presiding over the ceremony.  It brought back wonderful memories and reminded me of how many people Father had touched outside of the Heinisch family.  Even though he was not my children's home priest, he made such a wonderful impression on them at Jeanette's wedding.  He was supportive of all and handled the ceremony at the funeral home beautifully.  None of my children will ever forget meeting him, especially when he introduced himself as "Father Schwartz, the one who married your mother . . . to your father."  For a brief moment they thought that I had a life before them that I had kept secret.  Instead it was just Father Schwartz bringing levity to a very difficult situation.  It was his best way at comforting.

My mom always told me that God only wants the "good ones."  I don't know if that is true or not, but I do know that last week he truly gained an angel in heaven.  I also know that Jeanette will be at the front of the line to welcome him home.  





No comments:

Post a Comment