Saturday, February 17, 2024

Oppenheimer

Last night Doug and I started the movie "Oppenheimer."  I had been dying to see it ever since it came out this past summer.  I knew the length at 3 hours was too long for Doug to watch in the theaters, so decided to wait until it came out on streaming.  Yesterday if finally became available on Peacock and we started it after our trip to Hollywood Studios.  

I knew absolutely nothing about Oppenheimer the man, except that he was in charge of the Manhattan Project.  I really didn't even know much about that either.  It was a part of American history that never really fascinated me.  Even so, the film had multiple award nominations that I didn't want to miss it.  

The first half of the film was interesting as we got to know a lot about Oppenheimer, the scientist.  Much as the Bob Marley movie was, this film told his story through a series of flashbacks.  I didn't always understand what was happening, but at the halfway make I understood that he was regarded as brilliant highly thought of in the scientific material, and surprisingly had a lot of women after him.  The random nudity was a little strange, but other than that I really liked the movie.

We finished the film today.  The second half of it was absolutely fascinating, especially when they were testing the atom bomb.  I was amazed that the physicists knew that there was a chance that the explosion would take off and cause a reaction that would destroy the earth, but still went through with the experiment.  I not only learned a lot about Oppenheimer, but also others on the Manhattan project and the after math of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Overall, I still liked the Barbie movie that came out on the same day better, but was definitely glad that we had finally watched it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment