Monday, October 4, 2021

Flu Shot Season

When Doug was off of work on September 24, we decided to make a trip to the doctor for our annual flu shots.  I thought that it might be a little bit early, but read that any time after the 15th of September should work well.  Cameron got to wait a little longer for his as I didn't schedule an appointment for him until after tennis season was officially over.  In fact I told him that the longer he stayed alive in the state tournament, the longer he could postpone his vaccine.  Unfortunately for him, Bethany was eliminated in the first round of sectional so he actually could get his flu shot today.  Brett's flu shots were being given out at work tomorrow, so he was covered.  IU offered a free flu shot clinic at Assembly Hall, so Meg was easily able to schedule one there for next week.  

With five of us covered for flu shots this year, it meant that only one Heinisch was left to commit to his yearly vaccine.  I knew from years past that Cal wouldn't be jumping at the chance to get his, so I thought I'd help.  First I suggested making an appointment when he was home getting his back window in the    CR-V fixed.  He felt it was too early.  I could see his point, so I dropped the subject.  Next, I casually mentioned it a week or so later, but he was busy.  Thus, today I had to laugh when I texted him that we were all vaccinated or scheduled to be so and wondered if he had any plans to join us.  He messaged back immediately that he had to do more research on the flu vaccine before he committed.  That made me laugh out loud as I was pretty sure that he had not joined the anti-vaxxer crowd.  Cal did let me know a little later that he would look into it this weekend.  I sent him a couple of ideas and a link to places to get the flu vaccine near his apartment.  

I know that Cal has never enjoyed getting shots.  He's had more of them than his share of them from all of the illnesses he had when he was younger.  In fact he's the reason the rest of get them.  The first year Cal got the flu shot, he was the only one who got vaccinated and was the only one in our family who did not get the flu.  After that we all made the yearly trip to the doctor.  Thankfully, Cal's gotten to an age where I only have to be supportive of him getting one.  Gone are the days of Doug holding him down while the nurse injected him.  I can smile about that memory now, but I sure hated it then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment