Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Time For Change

After I dropped off Cam and walked this morning, Meg and I drove to the eye doctor.  She needed to order new glasses and wanted to get them in before she left for IU.  On the way back we picked up Bourbon Street pizza for her lunch and Cam's dinner.  The rest of Meg's afternoon was spent on her class and the required My Body program for all incoming Hoosier Freshmen.  Neither were too exciting, but she did get a lot done before she left to hang out with Nick and have dinner with Mariah.

While Meg and I were together today, we had a lot of time to talk.  One of our main conversations revolved around the two mass shootings that happened last weekend.  Although separate incidents, they were each violent leaving over 30 people dead and many more wounded.  We both felt terrible for the victims, but were also tired of all of the social media posts blaming anyone and everyone for the tragedy.  It wasn't that we didn't agree with them, we were just tired of reading about each individual's thoughts on why this was the Presidents fault, or the Republicans, or the police, or mental illness, or Congress, or the NRA, etc.  Everyone may or may not be right, but over the years I just don't see how any of the arguing on Facebook has made any difference.  It seems to have fallen on deaf ears.  If twenty, first and second graders losing their lives in the Sandy Hook shooting seven years ago didn't change the laws or stop the violence, I don't see where a few social media posts will do much.

Thus, Meg and I decided today that we are tired of listening to the blame.  We are ready for changes in our lives.  If that means that we have to walk through a metal detector each and every time that we buy groceries, then we are ok with that.  When we visit Disney World we realize that it is the outside security to get into the park that makes all of the difference.  Metal detectors, bag checks, no guns allowed, all make it not only the happiest place on Earth, but also the safest.  We have flown a dozen times over the years.  Each time we have done so, we have had to walk through a full body screening machine.  I have never felt violated.  Instead I have felt thankful that I would be flying on a plane safe from terrorists.  When we took Cal to the Final Four in 2016, only clear bags were allowed in the stadium.  It made for a quick and easy walk through security.  There were no complaints and no mass shootings in Houston that weekend.  I know that there are many who would say, "We shouldn't have to live with increased security.  It violates our freedoms."  They are right, we shouldn't have to do any of this, but the reality is that this is the world that we live in.  I would love it if we could pass a law that would stop the carnage, but making gun ownership illegal would not eliminate guns.  It hasn't worked for drugs, and won't for guns either.  Thus, I relinquish my right to walk into a public place without a metal detector or security guard present.  It may not be a popular opinion, but I just want my family to be safe.  If increased security and carrying a clear bag wherever I go is what it takes, then I am ready for the change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment