Monday, November 28, 2022

Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying

I have been to more funerals over this past year than I had been in the last five.  Driving home from the most recent one in DeKalb, Illinois on Monday gave me a lot of time to think.  Aunt Marg told us after Dewey's burial service that "losing a loved one is very sad, but unfortunately a part of life."  I respected her thoughts as I know that she was still missing Uncle Jim.  Dan's family was definitely sad after losing their father/grandfather.  My cousins had had some difficult days after losing both of their parents this fall as well.  

Although I felt bad that these two families were hurting,  I decided that I could no longer worry about death, mine or those I loved.  Life had to be the priority as none of us knew when we would be called home.  It was my job to appreciate every day, even those that were sad.  Pining away for the good old days, wishing that time had not passed so quickly and complaining about my aches and pains could never be the main focus of my life.  I had to honor the memories of those who had gone before me by living my life to the fullest.  If I didn't, I would become bitter in my old age and that would be a burden to my children and grandchildren (if we are so blessed). I had to remember that God has a plan for me no matter my age and that I would need to make the most of it until the very end.  "Get Busy Living, Or Get Busy Dying" is not only my favorite quote from the movie Shawshank Redemption, but has officially become my motto.  I am incredibly thankful that I have a husband that adopted that attitude a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment