Friday, November 18, 2022

A Wonderful Start to the Weekend

Doug arrived home at 12:30 this afternoon.  I was very happy that he made it with no delays and very little traffic issues.  There's still quite a bit of snow blowing and drifting on the roads.  Thankfully it didn't impeded his drive.  Shortly after he arrived home, Meg left to go shopping with Nancy.  I then met Nick in Nappanee to check out E. Newcomer and Son Jewelry.  We had a lot of fun looking through their jewelry pieces.  Afterward I treated Nick to lunch at Hunter's Hideaway.  He had never been there and really liked their Smash burger.  

Since Nick had some extra time before Meg got back to the Jimtown house, I took him on a tour of my favorite childhood places from when I was growing up in Nappanee.  We drove by the old middle school and Andy Stump's house first.  We then went to the Jackson Street house.  I "impressed" him with my story of hitting Bunk with a crab apple from across the backyard.  We drove to the Marion house next.  I was a little sad to see that it was really the only one in the neighborhood that needed some TLC.  I showed Nick my bike route from the Marion house to Granny and PawPaw's complete with the back alley entrance to their home.  My old elementary was nearby, although it had been turned into senior living apartments.  The final part of our tour was downtown Nappanee where Nick learned which building was the 5 & Dime and which one was Uncle Dean's grocery store.  I couldn't believe that the vet's office where my Grandma worked was still there.  I don't know about Nick, but I enjoyed the afternoon very much.

Doug was still working when I arrived home.  Cameron called to say that he was on his way as well.  We were glad that he decided to stay in tonight.  He told us about his day at school.  He was thankful for the two hour delays the past two mornings.  Today he was in charge of breakfast for the senior class.  He said that everyone appreciated the donuts and breads that we provided.  He even talked Josh into trying watermelon juice and was glad to hear him say that it wasn't that bad.  Cameron's night got even better as we watched Indiana beat Xavier in a close game.  Grandma and Grandpa came up afterward for a game of Oh Hell.  Grandma just nudged Cameron out for first place.  Today was a wonderful start to the weekend and I am looking forward to many more fun days ahead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment