Thursday, June 16, 2022

Mammogram

I had scheduled my Mammogram on Monday, but had to move it to today because it was the only day that Dr. Freeze had available for Cameron's sports physical.  Cameron heard me pre-registering on the phone yesterday and asked me what a mammogram actually was.  None of the boys or even Doug for that matter had ever questioned the procedure, but I could see with Cameron's interest in science wanting to know.  He thought it would be more like a MRI.  I explained the x-ray machine that they used and told him that MRI's and ultrasounds were only for women who were high risk or already had breast cancer.  I also said that I thought the worst part was the skin that they pinched during the procedure.  I told him about the memes that I had read stating that if men had to have their intimate area squished once a year than all cancer would be cured.  He followed up with "All women are good for is cleaning and cooking."  We both laughed at that and I left for Warsaw.

Normally, I have had very little wait time in the women's imaging department at KCH.  This year, however, I was there about twenty minutes before they called me back.  It gave me time to think about how fortunate I have been to never have had a lump or even a call back for something suspicious looking on the x-ray.  I knew that wasn't the case for a lot of women.  Maybe that's why I never minded getting a mammogram.  I didn't enjoy the process, but knew it was important.  I also didn't think that I should complain about it when many women received devastating news afterward.  The procedure was quick as always which I appreciated.  Soon I was on my way to the grocery store, thankful for having being done with this routine test for another year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment