Friday, June 17, 2022

Making Progress

Doug has worked for two to three hours every night in our backyard cleaning up the debris and fallen trees from Monday nights storm.  Thankfully, Kosciusko REMC cut down some of the trees in the lot, but that still left quite a few logs, branches and sticks to remove.  Doug has a small chainsaw which has helped a lot with the smaller trees and branches, but has made no difference in dissecting the largest tree or the tree stump on the side of the house.  

Tonight, Doug started a fire as soon as he got home from work.  The sticks that I picked up on Tuesday worked out perfectly for kindling and he soon had a nice bonfire going.  He spent  the rest of the evening adding branches to the fire and moving large logs to the lot.  I was extremely impressed with how much he got done.  By the end of the evening I had all of the bird feeders and potted plants moved to new spots in the yard and he had almost everything burned.  We even had time for two games of Ticket to Ride before nightfall.  We will still need some type of help with the large tree and plan to have Hoosier Tree Service take out three of the more daunting looking trees, but overall our backyard looked a lot better.  I still can't believe all of the damage.  








All of the inside cleaning that I did this week and the outside work that Doug accomplished as well, confirmed my opinion that we need to move to a smaller home once Cameron graduates from high school.  I love this home and it has served the Heinisch family well, but I know that Doug and I would benefit from the added time that downsizing would afford us.  I love spending time together, but would prefer to do it outside of manual labor tasks.  I also realize that this house and yard will feel even bigger once Cameron goes away to college.  I wasn't sure that I would ever be ready to leave our home, but in the past year, I have come to see why it's important to do it sooner rather than later.  Otherwise the work will become so overwhelming that we may never leave.  It will be sad to leave, but the storm on Monday definitely reaffirmed to me that our decision to move in 2023 is a good one.   


No comments:

Post a Comment