Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Good News All Around

Over the last two days I have gotten several calls from the doctor's office as well as emails from my lab reports giving me updates on my bloodwork from Monday and the biopsy on my arm.  In the first call, the nurse informed me that my Vitamin D level was finally at a normal level.  It had taken almost two years to get it there and I would still have to take my medication, but at least I wouldn't have to feel the side effects of low Vitamin D anymore which included fatigue and muscle cramps.  Next, she let me know that my cholesterol was in the normal range as well.  I wasn't really worried about that, but was happy to hear that news.  

The best report from the doctor's office, however, was that my A1C had returned to the normal range.  At my appointment in April it was at the pre-diabetic level and they had suggested medication to reduce it.  The nurse said today, however, that since I had lost 20+ pounds and stayed with a low carbohydrate diet, I had lowered it naturally.  I was very excited about that.

The last test result arrived today from the lab via email.  It was probably the one that I was most anxious to read.  The biopsy of my arm revealed a "benign intradermal melanocytic nevus", which translated to a non-cancerous mole.  Even though I had read that my chance of having melanoma was only 1% I was still worried.  Brett had told me that even if it was melanoma that the risk of death from that type of skin cancer was only 3%, but I still didn't feel relieved.  As Cameron jokingly pointed out after Brett hung up the phone, "So what I'm hearing is that there's a chance.''  Thankfully, the biopsy report alleviated all fears and Meg, Doug, Cam and Grandma Jane all responded with "good news" texts after I told them.  Brett, however, gave me the "I'm not surprised" message when I texted him.  Now, that my mind was at ease, I became hopeful that the pain from the biopsy site would go away as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment