Monday, August 23, 2021

Feeling a Little Old

Today I had my physical with Dr. Freeze.  An hour and a half later, I sure felt old.  The appointment went fine, but the battery of procedures and tests left me drained.  She first diagnosed my painful toe as an ingrown toenail.  That wasn't too bad as I had had those in the past and we came up with a plan to take care of it which hopefully would prevent toenail removal.  Next, she told me that I had to have a mole on my arm removed for a biopsy as well as two benign ones on my back.  That took some time and was a little painful, but overall not too bad except for my immediate reaction to the bandaids that she used.

Next, on the agenda was a shingles shot.  I had no problem getting the recommended vaccine as I knew how painful it was when both Doug and Jeanette had the virus.  The shot did not hurt, but it did leave me nauseous for the next few hours.   Thankfully, the nurse said that was normal and it did go away eventually.  Last was the discussion that I had been dreading most, weight loss and my A1C.  Dr. Freeze can be a little curt about that topic.  Fortunately, the 20+ pounds that I had lost since our last visit impressed her and she backed off of the harsh discussion from last April.  Instead she focused on the blood tests that I would need to determine what to focus on next.  

To end the visit I spent about a half hour at the lab filling out paperwork and having four tubes of blood drawn.  I was impressed with how easily the phlebotomist found a vein and appreciated her friendly attitude as well.  Spending ninety minutes at the doctor's office today wasn't as bad as it sounded later when I told Doug about it.  I was definitely glad to be done for awhile and only worried for a little bit tonight about the labs and the biopsy on my skin.  Guess I'll know soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment