Sunday, May 9, 2021

Mother's Day Blizzard of 2021

Doug and I spent the morning getting the house ready for Cal and Meg's visit.  Meg was coming home for two weeks.  She would still be attending summer school online, but being home would allow her to make her next two orthodontist appointments.  Cal was returning from Bloomington as well as he had spent the past few days visiting HM before she left for Florida for a week of classes through IU.  Cal planned to stay with us until Tuesday when he had his second Covid vaccine scheduled.  

While we were waiting for them to arrive Cam, Doug and I played several games of cards including Runs & Sets and SkipBo.  I had possibly the worst score ever in the first game, but did well in the second.  I appreciated Cam paying games with us.  I know that he would have rather played golf, but the snow and the cold closed the courses in our area.  This spring had definitely been a cold one, but none of us expected snow showers today.  The latest that I had ever remembered it snowing in May before today was on May 6, 1989.  It was the day after I arrived home from my sophomore year at IU.  It was a little ironic that Meg was facing the same unpredictable weather pattern after finishing her second year at IU as well.  



Once Cal and Meg arrived I opened my Mother's Day gifts.  Brett had sent his gift home with me from when I was in Bloomington on Friday.  I was happy to see two of my favorite candles - one from Mickey's Philharmagic and the other from the Norway ride in EPCOT.  Cal got me a new flavor of vodka to try - lemonade.  It looked delicious and we made plans to try it tomorrow night.  Doug, Meg and Cam picked out a record player for me.  I was thrilled when I opened it as I had been wanting one ever since I found my childhood record collection.  I don't know if they all enjoyed Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheep as much as I did, but it definitely brought back a ton of memories.

We invited Grandma Jane and Grandpa Cutes up for the evening.  Doug made hamburgers, pasta salad, cucumber salad and corn casserole for dinner.  Grandma brought cheesecake and fruit for dessert.  After dinner we played Cam's trivia game.  It was a lot of fun.  We followed it with Oh Hell!  I ended up the big loser and for the first time in awhile took home the Vicky bird.  Even with the loses in cards today and the "snowstorm", I still had a wonderful Mother's Day.




No comments:

Post a Comment