Tuesday, April 27, 2021

The Vermont Teddy Bear Company

Before Doug and I got married he gave me a Vermont Teddy Bear bride as a gift for our upcoming nuptials.  He followed it up with a groom Vermont Teddy bear on our one year anniversary as well as a maternity bear made by the same company when I got pregnant with Brett.  I loved the bears and they made for a nice display in our home for years.  At some point, however, they lost their place on the shelf above the door to make room for the Heinisch children's artwork.  

I looked for my bears while we were cleaning out the basement storage room in February, but couldn't find them.  I was worried that somehow they had ended up in a garage sale pile and sold years ago, but was hopeful that I would run across them as we got the house ready to sale.  Fortunately, I didn't have to wait two years to find out their fate.  When Doug was up in the attic last weekend, he handed me down a box and there they were.  I was thrilled to have run across them and inspected them immediately.  The bears themselves had held up very well.  The maternity dress was still nice, but the wedding gown and the groom's tuxedo were showing a lot of wear and discoloration.  I decided to brush the bears real well and try washing their clothes.  The maternity dress looked as good as new once it was cleaned, but the other two outfits had definitely seen better days.  Once I dressed the bears they looked a little better, but I still hoped to figure out a different plan for the bride and groom.  I did some research on the internet and found out that the Vermont Teddy Bear Company was actually still in business.  They even had a phone number for me to call to order new clothes.  For now I will keep the bears as they were, but hope to update their wardrobe in the near future.  Either way they are still adorable and I'm glad that they have a prominent place in my room once again.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment