Monday, April 12, 2021

First High School Golf Match

Today was Bethany's first high school golf match of the season and Cameron's first one as an official Bruin.  To say he was nervous would be an understatement.  He talked about and thought about the match all weekend.  I tried to underplay it for him, but it didn't matter what I said.  He was more than hyped up for it.  

The match was played against Northridge and Fairfield at both of their home courses, Meadow Valley Golf Club.  The venue was a good one for Cameron as he had played there multiple times a summer for the past several years.  I arrived shortly before they sent the boys out to their respective holes to start.  Cameron played the #1 position for Bethany and began the match on hole number 3.  The first hole was a tough one as Cameron pushed the ball on his first two shots of the day and ended up with a double bogey on the hole.  I wasn't too surprised as I knew that he was struggling with the ball going right and I knew that he was really nervous.  He was playing with someone that he knew from the Lifestyle Tour and I was sure that he felt a lot of pressure to beat him.  His nerves settled down on the next hole, however, as he chipped it within six inches of the hole giving him a par.  




It was a lot of fun to watch the rest of his round.  Cameron hit some fantastic drives, made several pars and handled the wind well.  Grandma, Grandpa and I followed him and enjoyed being a part of his first match.  We were all pleased to hear that he had shot a 44 when he walked off the last hole.  Even better he had beaten both of the #1 players from Northridge and Fairfield.  Cam stayed with his team until everyone finished, so we didn't find out until later that he had actually placed 2nd out of all fifteen players as the Northridge #3 player shot a 41.  I was thrilled for Cameron as I know that he had worked really hard this past week.  The greens were challenging to putt on and the conditions weren't the easiest to play with today.  Cameron called his Dad as soon as he got in the van to let him know how he did.  Afterward he filled me in on his thoughts for the round and his plans on what to work on tomorrow.  I don't know if he'll sleep tonight, but at least he will have good thoughts going through his head.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment