Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Cleaning Grout is Not For the Weak

Several months ago, I bought a steam cleaner to use on our glass shower doors.  I could clean the water spots off of them without it, but it took a lot of work.  I saw a reel that suggested using a steam cleaner, so after more research, I thought I'd try it.  It worked well and did cut down on the amount of time it took to clean the shower doors.

While I was getting the steamer ready to use, I realized that it had a brush for grout cleaning.  I have a ton of tile in my house and although I kept the floors clean, I knew that the grout had not been thoroughly scrubbed since we moved in three years ago.  My handyman suggested using Stanley Steamer to do it, but once I saw the quote for $360, I decided to find a way to do it myself with my new steam cleaner.

I first tried the cleaner on the front porch, and it made a big difference. Every week since then, I put on my to-do list, "clean bathroom grout," but something got in the way.  Finally last May, I was ready to work on the bathroom tile when I got an email that the attachments were being recalled because they would slip off easily causing burns.  I knew from experience that they were right and waited for the new parts to arrive.

Today was the day that I got the steam cleaner out and started on the bathroom tile.  It took a lot of work and way more time that I thought that it would, but they looked a hundred times better in the end.  After all of that work, I decided that I couldn't do the rest of the tile in the house with just the steam cleaner and started looking at grout brushes.  I hope it makes the job even easier.  No matter what, it was nice to know that I had come up with a solution for several hundred dollars less than Stanley Steemer.  I would much rather but the elbow grease in at home and use that money for our trip to the Midwest later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment