Tuesday, July 7, 2026

At Home Nursing

When Doug was first diagnosed with low vitamin B12, it was serious enough for the doctor to prescribe a weekly treatment of Vitamin B12 injections. Because Doug worked in Ocala, he could swing by the doctor's office, get his shot and then head into work. The injections worked and Doug’s Vitamin B12 rose to a normal level.

With his levels increasing, the doctor lessened the dose.  Unfortunately, changing to once-a-month injections did not help Doug maintain the Vitamin B12 levels that he needed to stay in a normal range. The side effects of low Vitamin B12 were serious enough that our doctor told us that he would have to have injections every other week, probably for life. The good part was that it would help him with the fatigue and brain fog that he was feeling when his levels were low. The bad part was Doug couldn’t go into the doctor's office as easily once he switched jobs. Thus, I had to learn how to give injections.

Thankfully, the biweekly dosage worked. Doug’s levels have stayed in the normal range for the past two years and he feels very good. I am very happy with that the injections are working, but I still hate giving Doug the shots.  I am sure that some women would love sticking their husband with a sharp needle every other week, but I really do not like it. I have gotten a lot better at it and appreciate the advice the pharmacist gave me as it has made the process a lot easier. Hopefully, it continues to go well and eventually I might even be able to give the shots to Doug pain free every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment