Wednesday, July 22, 2026

IU Scholarships for the Win

Cameron sent me a text today asking me if I had checked his bursar account lately.  Since it wasn’t August yet, I hadn’t even thought about looking at his tuition bill.  He told me to look at his financial aid package when I had a chance as he thought that there might be some changes to it.  I was definitely curious after his text, but didn’t have time to log in until after lunch.  

When I finally sat down at the computer, I couldn’t believe what I was reading.  In the section for financial aid awards there was an extra $4628 in addition to his annual provost scholarship of $4000.  I had to read it twice to even believe what I saw was true.  Cameron had won the Douglas A and Rebecca L Smock Scholarship award for $2628 and the Padget Family Bicentennial Scholarship for $2000.  Both were merit based scholarships in the Kelley School of Business given to undergraduate students demonstrating academic excellence and campus involvement.  Cameron fit the definition perfectly.

As soon as I found out, I texted Cameron to congratulate him on his hard work.  I then called Doug to tell him and started crying.  I had spent over ten hours last March helping Cameron fill out his FAFSA, the general scholarship application, and the one for the business school specifically.  At the time I told myself if he got a thousand extra dollars it would be worth it.  Now he was getting over $4600 and it couldn’t have come at a better time.  The cost of living in Bloomington had skyrocketed over the past three years.  Cameron’s rent alone was twice what I had paid for Cal his senior year.  From my estimates this summer, I was going to be $3500 short in the account that I had set aside to pay for Cameron’s final year.  Now with these two scholarships I had a little breathing room.  It felt like a gigantic win and a wonderful reminder that God does answer our prayers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment