Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Mike Campbell - From The Heartbreakers to The Dirty Knobs

Last week I finished Mike Campbell's aptly titled autobiography, The Heartbreakers.  He was not only the band's lead guitarist, but also Tom Petty's best friend.  Doug had read it last year and was sure that I would like it. I am happy to say that he was 100% correct.  I enjoyed learning about Mike Campbell as well as the history of The Heartbreakers.  I loved that the book spent quite a few chapters on his life in Gainesville, a city that Doug and I now knew well.  Mike Campbell's detailed memories of his days at the University of Florida to the last concert he played with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers in 2017 were all amazing to read about.  He had hundreds of stories about other musicians that he had played with or met throughout his career including Boby Dylan, George Harrison and Don Henley.  He also wrote extensively about the songs, the music and the recording sessions with the Heartbreakers.  The best part for me was his stories about his life with Tom Petty.  They were absolutely fantastic and I learned more about my favorite singer in this book than I ever could have imagined.  I don't remember ever reading a biography faster than I did The Heartbreakers as I just couldn't put it down.

The last few chapters of Mike Campbell's book focused on his life after Tom Petty's death and the break- up of the Heartbreakers.  He played with Fleetwood Mac for several years and eventually formed his own band called "The Dirty Knobs" with a few of his long-time musical friends including Steve Ferrone, drummer of The Heartbreakers.  Last week, I was looking at concerts on Seat Geek when I decided to check to see if The Dirty Knobs were touring.  I couldn't believe what I found.  Not only were they touring, but they were playing in Nashville, Indiana tonight. I decided that I had to go and was thrilled that as soon as I asked Brett if he wanted to go with me he instantly said, "Yes!" 

Tonight's concert was so much fun.  I had been listening to The Dirty Kobs playlist on Spotify all week to get ready for it and knew almost all of the songs that they played.  I loved the five Tom Petty songs that Mike Campbell covered including one of my favorites, "You Wreck Me" which was also featured in the book.  The music wasn't Brett's taste, but he did really enjoy the opening act, Sarah Lee Guthrie.  She sang folk songs that she had wrote and covered several of her grandfather, Woody Guthrie's songs as well.  She also told stories about growing up with her father Arlo and playing music with him as well.  She was very entertaining which made for a wonderful night for both Brett and I.





No comments:

Post a Comment