Monday, July 13, 2026

Last week, my dad called in the early evening. I was worried as it was rare that I heard from him at dinner time but thought that maybe he had something he wanted to share with Doug and I. He definitely had something to share, but unfortunately, it wasn’t good news. My mom had fallen out of the back door of the garage again and broke her left hip. He was on the way to the hospital when he called and was very worried to say the least.

My mom ended up with the exact same break and the exact same surgery that she had in December, but this time it was on her left hip. She spent two days in the hospital before they sent her to the Waters nursing home near my dad‘s house. I was really bummed to hear it as I was coming up to see them this week, and my mom and I had plans to get haircuts and go to The Depot.  More importantly, I was worried about how my mom would recover this time.

I arrived in Syracuse last night early enough to go over to the nursing home and visit with my mom. She looked very sad and in a lot of pain. I tried to be positive but wasn’t sure what today would bring. Thankfully, she was doing a lot better today. The nurses were able to get her dressed and sitting in a chair to eat breakfast. While I was there, I also got to go to physical therapy with her.  Although her hip hurt, she was able to move her left leg and do some of the exercises. I know that it will take several months for my mom to recover, but I was glad to see that she was already making a little bit of progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment