When we found out definitively that Doug had Parkinson’s, I made a commitment to prioritize his health. I also made a commitment not to make this our entire life. It didn’t need to be everything we talked about or everything we did. It wasn’t because I was embarrassed by the diagnosis or that I didn’t believe it, but because I wanted to protect our mental health. I knew that we had to get back to our life. Doug‘s neurologist at Mayo Clinic told us that he could be in this stage for quite some time. Thus, talking about it constantly, especially to other people, didn’t make a lot of sense. I knew that it would only make me worry more about the future.
Knowing that I didn't want Parkinson's to be the main topic of every one of my conversations, I didn't even mention Doug's diagnosis when I went out with Robbi and her friend Barbara today for lunch at Carrabba‘s. Instead, I talked about my frustration with finding a place for all our family to stay next summer for wedding. I asked them about their experience with VRBO. We talked about CCW and even things as simple as what temperature to keep our air-conditioning on during the hot summer months in Florida. It was nice to just hang out and feel like a normal person not the wife of somebody with a neurological progressive disorder.I am glad I figured out several years ago that I have control over the topics that I chose to share. Our life will definitely be changed by Parkinson’s, but it doesn’t have to change today. With so many positive things going on in our life there is no need to dwell on the hardships.
No comments:
Post a Comment