When Meg got Doug his beloved Six-Million-Dollar Man lunchbox for his birthday, she asked me what one I had as a child. I remembered being excited about picking out a new one every year but couldn't recall any of them except for my very last one - JabberJaw. I don't know why I bought that one as I wasn't a huge fan of the show, but something about it caught my eye. I kept it for quite a few years as it held up very well being made of plastic instead of metal which seemed to rust right away.
Last week, I found the exact JabberJaw lunchbox on eBay and sent a picture of it to Meg. She responded right away that she would get me one for my birthday if I wanted. I graciously declined as it didn't mean to me what Doug's lunchbox meant to him. She asked me what did mean a lot, and then almost answered her own question before I had time to respond. The childhood item that I absolutely loved were the "Moody Cuties" that I picked up on each trip to Riley to visit my brother. I could remember vividly going to the gift shop and looking through all of the dolls closely examining each one before I made the purchase. It made the trips hold a special place in my heart instead of being as overwhelming as visiting a children's hospital can be. I was surprised to see them on eBay as well. Thankfully, I did not need Meg to buy me these either as mine were safely tucked away in my storage tub. Maybe I will get them out and display them next to Doug's lunchbox. Either way, I am glad that these small treasures brought back such fun memories for Doug and I.
No comments:
Post a Comment