Monday, June 10, 2024

WNBA Controversy

Last winter, the biggest sports story was Kaitlin Clark, Iowa women's basketball star.  As an IU fan, I didn't really like her, but I did respect her basketball skills.  She ended up as the overall points leader ever in NCAA basketball in both men's and women's leagues.  She led her team to the final game in the NCAA women's March Madness tournament and was the first pick in the WNBA draft.  Because she had greatly increased interested in the women's college game, everyone was super hyped that she would do the same for the professional league.

The season started this summer and it has been nothing like I thought it would be.  My Dad followed women's basketball a lot better and hasn't been surprised at all by the reaction of the other women in the league.  They have treated Kaitlin Clark terribly with constant flagrant fouls and name calling.  Even her own team hasn't been supportive of her.  Just recently, she was left off the US Women's Olympic Basketball team.  

I was completely shocked by the snub on the Olympic team and the negative treatment of Clark.  Over the years, the WNBA has loudly complaining about not being treated equally with the men's program and has  asked for the publicity that the male league has received over the years.  They finally have a player that Americans have followed and were actually interested in watching play.  Young girls were wearing her jersey.  Attendance at games that she played in was at an all time high for the WNBA, and ESPN was finally covering the games.  

I guess none of this has matter to the other players or the league in general.  As much as I did not like Clark's attitude when she was a college player, she hasn't deserved any of this treatment.  She has been nothing but gracious, but that won't keep fans interested.  I keep wondering who will watch the Olympic team without her playing on it.  To me it didn't matter if she played a lot or not, it created interest in women's basketball and women's sports in general.  

In the end, no one really cares what my opinion is on the matter.  My Dad said that it will all come out in the wash next year as she improves and adjusts to the league.  Although this winter, I never would have believed that I would be rooting for her, but I definitely will be now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment