Thursday, July 11, 2019

A Power Outage

Doug texted me this morning to let me know that the power at Champion had been out since 8:30 a.m.  I wasn't surprised when I saw the pictures of the storm damage in Elkhart last night.  Doug said that there was even a tornado that touched down south of Middlebury.  I was happy that we dodged the storms yesterday, but I sure wished that we would have gotten some rain.  Thankfully, the weather did cool down from all of the storms and the humidity moved out.  Even if it ends up only being for a few days, it will be nice to have some cooler days ahead.

I took advantage of the change in temperature by weeding and trimming the entire yard.  I had just finished when Doug showed up.  They had sent everyone home as Champion wasn't expected to get power back until at least 4:30 this afternoon and no one could work since the server was also down.   I was glad to see him and had a story to share.  While I was weeding the backyard I had noticed that the Tru Green worker was fertilizing our front yard.  By the time I walked around to the front he had left without bringing the spreader into our backyard.  There was a note on the door, so I checked what it said.  I laughed out loud when I read that he was sorry to miss us, but had fertilized the entire yard.  What a scam!  Doug said he had always wondered about them.  Guess he was right.  He'll follow up with Tru Green tomorrow, but I don't see us using them again.

Meg arrived shortly after Doug.  Her sinuses were still bothering her, but she looked better than yesterday.  She ate lunch and filled us in on her day.  She had a lot of fun with her cabin and had more plans for this evening with Mock Rock.  After Meg left Doug and I went to Oakwood for lunch.  It was nice to have him home for the afternoon.  We enjoyed our meal together and finished the afternoon working on a couple of projects that I still needed to get done.  I really appreciated his help.

Doug had to go to County Council tonight.  It was a long meeting for him as he had to make a proposal on raising the county wheel tax.  There was a lot of debate and his proposal was shot down for a more expensive tax hike.  Since Doug and another council person voted against it, they will now have to meet again in August to settle it.  While Doug was gone, Jen came over for the night.  She celebrated her 50th birthday this week with her family and I wanted to do something with her as well.  We decided to order Chinese and have a bonfire.  We texted Cal that we were going to finish off all of the Hamms Light that he had left this weekend.  He said he'd be impressed.  We would have been as well.  Even without the beer we had a lot of fun and we were actually both impressed that I could keep the fire going until Doug got home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment