Thursday, November 16, 2023

Finding a New Doctor

 One of the most stressful things to me is finding a new doctor.  After Dr. Mulry retired, we have tried several different family physicians and none have even been close to him.  I loved his laid back approach and his ability to diagnose our health issues even when the disease was obscure.  He had been a doctor for so long that he was able to treat us with old remedies and new ones as well.  

After Dr. Mulry left, we tried to stay at Syracuse Family Practice, but there was too much turn over.  The receptionists were also very rude and the wait times to see a doctor were well over an hour.  We did finally switch to Dr. Freeze in Goshen.  She was very intelligent, but didn't have much of a personality.  She also requested way too much testing.  

I started looking for a new family doctor in Ocala several months ago.  I found one that was highly recommended by our insurance plan and decided to make an appointment.  Doug's travel dates changed in October, however, and I had to reschedule.  I finally made it to see Dr. Aich today.  She was friendly and extremely knowledgable.  She gave me some tips for my foot and recommended a dermatologist for the cyst on my face.  She also asked me to schedule lab work as I hadn't had my cholesterol checked in over a year.  

I was pleased with the visit.  Everything went very well, except that my blood pressure was a lot higher than normal, 143 over 80.  I was surprised by that as I hadn't had a blood pressure issue in over seventeen years.  Dr. Aich was worried about it and wanted me to stay away from salt and check it at home every day for a month.  I probably should have been more concerned as my mom's family has a history of high blood pressure and I had problems with mine when I was pregnant with both Cameron and Meg.  I wasn't worried, however.  I was sure that seeing a new doctor had caused it to rise and that all would be fine when I returned home.  

I got out my blood pressure cuff and checked it later in the day.  My blood pressure was in the normal range - 126 over 83.  I guess visiting a new doctor had stressed me out more than I realized.  Unfortunately, I may have to find a new one again when our insurance changes in February.  For now, I will try not to worry about doctors or blood pressure readings.  It will all work out in the end.   

No comments:

Post a Comment