Sunday, November 5, 2023

Say Yes to the Dress

I woke up this morning to see someone sleeping on the floor in the living room.  As Doug was working at the table and Cameron was asleep on the air mattress, I thought it was Brett.  I couldn't figure out why he wasn't in his bedroom.  I thought that maybe he fell asleep there while they were watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night.  I asked Doug what was going on with Brett, and he said that it was Cal asleep on the floor.  That made so much more sense.  He had arrived last night.  His phone had died and he decided that he'd rather stay with us then cram into a hotel room with twenty people.  Doug was glad as he didn't really like the hotel that they were staying at this weekend.  I was happy that we got to see him for a little while longer before he left for Chicago.


We took Cameron, Alina and Brett to Mother Bears for lunch before we left Bloomington today.  We thought it was the perfect place for Alina's first trip to Bloomington.  It had been a wonderful weekend and we were sad to say goodbye.  Once we were on the road, Cameron headed off to study and Brett planned to rest all afternoon.  The trip home was a quick one filled with fun conversation.  We met Alina's mother at 6 & 15.  That helped get her to choir a little bit earlier than she expected and saved us some time on the trip back.





Meg was already waiting for us at Grandma's when we arrived.  She had ordered three wedding dresses to try on at her "Say Yes to the Dress" get together this evening and couldn't wait to show me.  Meg had invited Nancy and Grandma Jane to attend the event as well and we both appreciated Paula hosting it.  The party started at 6 p.m., but Meg and I decided to arrive a little bit early.  Paula and Gabrielle didn't mind as they had been ready since 4:45 p.m. They had forgotten to set their clocks back an hour last night for Daylight Savings Time.

The four of us had a lot of fun talking and looking through Meg and Nick's engagement photos.  The Fiscus women had made a fantastic charcuterie board along with homemade dip, chocolate covered almonds and shortbread cookies.  They also had pomegranate mimosa's to drink.  It was all delicious and appreciated very much.




Once Nancy and Grandma arrived, Meg and Gabrielle headed upstairs to try on her first dress.  I had seen all three, but only on hangers.  The first one was nice, but looked a lot like Meg's prom dress.  The back also fit strangely.  Meg agreed and headed upstairs to try on the second one.  I loved that she had on the robe made from my wedding dress while she was in between dresses.  When Meg walked down in the second dress, everyone gasped.  It looked absolutely gorgeous on her and was the perfect fit.  It was the one that both Doug and I originally told her that we thought would be a beautiful dress for her.  I was happy to see that it was in the running for the "say yes to the dress."  The third one was Meg's favorite out of the dress bag,  but once she tried it one, she felt that the front was too plain.  The back was gorgeous with a lot of beading, but she would have to add something to the front to match.  As this was the last dress, Paula got out her own wedding veil for Meg to try on.  They never really could get it to fit correctly and we all marveled at how long it was.  Meg decided that she would look for something simpler for her own hair.  








After trying on one of the dresses for a second time and talking through everything with us, Meg decided that the dress that most fit her personality and looked the best on her was the second one.  I agreed with her completely and was very happy that she was able to "say yes to the dress."  I had never really thought about how I would feel when Meg tried on her dress.  I was surprised that I teared up, but once we started talking about the girls being friends for as long as we could remember, it didn't surprise me.  I also didn't expect to have as much fun as I did.  Overall, it was a wonderful night and I was very glad that I was able to be a part of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment