Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Big News

Cam crawled in the car today after school with two big pieces of news.  First, he accidentally threw his retainers in the compost pile at lunch today.  Although it wasn't his favorite thing to do, after a little bit of searching, he was able to find them.  He planned to soak them in Efferdent as soon as he got home.  The second part of his announcement was definitely more interesting to him.  He told me that Mark Dantonio retired today.  At first, I couldn't think who that was.  I knew he was a football coach, but where I didn't know, until Cam reminded me of his infamous line at one of the fall press conferences, "Frankly, that's just a dumbass question."  Memories of Michigan State's struggles on the field this fall came flooding back.  After today's press release Cam decided the best way to honor Dantonio was to make his infamous line his new catch phrase.  He laughed at how it would sound at school when a teacher asked him a question and he replied with Dantonio's statement.  Cam even told me that I could borrow it when his principal, Hank, called to ask me about his behavior.

As Cam laughed about the fall press conference and remarked on what a genius Dantonio was for retiring twenty days after he received a 4.3 million dollar bonus, I chuckled to myself about a different thought.  Everyone else in the country was following the big news stories of the day - the impeachment trial, the Coronavirus, the botched Iowa caucus, Jennifer Lopez's halftime show, the death of Kobe Bryant- but not here in the Heinisch home.  Instead we're focused on Big Ten sports, especially football, 24/7.  That's life with Cam and it has made this year a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment