Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Ash Wednesday and a New Prayer

It was a snowy Ash Wednesday for all of us in Northern Indiana and for Cameron it provided an unofficial snow day.  Bethany had only called for a delay, but Wawasee cancelled.  Since the weather was not supposed to improve throughout the afternoon, I decided to error on the side of caution and keep him home.  He was bummed to miss some of his classes, but glad to sit out of others.  In the end he said that he was ready for a break and the time at home was well appreciated.  I did keep him busy shoveling as I sent him out twice during the day.  Doug was thankful to have the driveway cleared when he pulled in tonight.  It was not all work for Cam at home.  We did make it out to Penguin Point for lunch and then to Grandma and Grandpa's for a couple of games of Euchre.  Driving a mile and a half was enough for me in today's snowstorm.

Doug was home from work early so that we could all attend Ash Wednesday services.  He was a lot more comfortable traveling on the snow than I was, so I was glad that he could take us.  Mass was nice, but a little long as it started late and then Father's homily was over fifteen minutes.  It was great to learn about the history of Ash Wednesday, but the length must have thrown me off.  As we started the ending prayer to Saint Michael, instead saying "Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle . . ." I said "Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us against the dark arts . . ."  I actually laughed out loud when I realized what I had done.  I told everyone that I must be watching and reading too much Harry Potter.  Brett said that shouldn't surprise anyone. Cal agreed wholeheartedly.  Meg said that she was sure that she had heard me say that before.   My new prayer did make for some fun conversation during dinner at Sleepy Owl after mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment